Saturday, August 31, 2013

Other Books I Read This Summer...

The following books are available in my library. A couple of them I really enjoyed, while others were not my favorite. If you are interested in borrowing any of the novels, feel free to come check them out!

- Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead - I loved When you Reach me, so I was excited to read another book by Rebecca Stead. I enjoyed this one as well! I love New York City as the setting for a good story. This book is about a rare friendship, family dynamics, and kids solving a mystery. It's funny, sweet, and sometimes sad. I recommend this to all ages. If you like realistic fiction, humor, or mystery -- this is a good pick for you!

- Witch Child by Celia Rees: This is a historical fiction novel written for teens that takes place in 1659. Mary Newbury is the granddaughter of local witch. The story takes place during a time of fear and lies, and Mary experiences both. When her grandmother dies, Mary moves to America, hoping for change, but things only get worse! I enjoyed the history, but this book was a little dark for me.

- Peeled by Joan Bauer: Hildy is a high school reporter who isn't afraid to seek out the truth. This is a great book for students who enjoy writing, humor, and character development. It also deals with ghosts, and a small town mystery! I enjoyed the strong female lead character, and I found it to be a quick read. Come check it out!

- The Revelers by Doug Wilhelm - The daily bullying at Parkland Middle School doesn't seem to be going anywhere. However, this story is about 3 friends who have had enough. Russell and his new friends experience heartbreaking cruelty, and they come together to find a way to make it stop. Using the internet and brutal honesty, the kids make changes happen, but they also become targets. I really enjoyed this book and I have multiple copies!

- Tighter by Adele Griffin - This was not one of my favorite books this summer! This story is pretty dark, suspenseful, and a little scary. It's for older readers who can handle reading about a character who battles with serious issues like drug use. Jamie is working for the summer as a nanny and  uncovers the truth about the death of a girl (and her boyfriend) who lived in the house before her. The dead girl also looks a lot like Jaime, and she starts seeing her ghost regularly. Again... not my favorite!


No comments:

Post a Comment